Four days into Nanny Flo and Elaine's visit, we left them with the kids while Garreth and I took a much-needed get-away trip up to Whistler, B.C. We left Sunday afternoon and came back early Tuesday afternoon. It was a perfect little vacation and it felt absolutely indulgent to do whatever we wanted and only think of ourselves and not four little others. I'd seriously forgotten how simple travel can be! We always have so much fun together and the location was one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to. We came back resolved to get away for a few days at least once a year - any other takers on babysitting?!
Our favorite part of the trip was zip-lining. What a rush! Garreth booked our tour from the hotel while I was in the shower, so it wasn't until we got there that I found out we had skipped the "good for beginners tour" and gone straight to the tour for "those looking for a bigger thrill." My nerves were basically shot until after the first ride, then I actually became one of those thrill-seekers. It was amazing!
We did a series of five lines, walking on suspension bridges and across treetop huts to get to each one. We were several hundred feet up above the forest and the view was amazing.
The fourth ride was our favorite, over 2000 feet long and a huge drop. On the last "freestyle" run, the guides showed us how to go upside down. I wasn't sure about the whole upside down thing and Garreth was excited to do it, so I kept the video camera to film him from the top. He ended up not being able to get his legs up high enough, and I surprised myself by actually going upside down the whole way. So sadly, my courage remains undocumented, and you will have to get Garreth's verification that I am, in fact, a true daredevil.
We also rode the ski gondolas up Whistler Mountain, another across to Blackcomb Mountain, then back down again. I just can't say enough about how beautiful it is there. These pictures don't really do it justice.
This rock statue is the official symbol for the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver. Many of the events will be at Whistler and it was fun to see where it will all happen.
Glacier on Blackcomb Mountain.
I wasn't quick enough to get a picture, but we also saw two little black bears just strolling along near Whistler Village.
It was a perfect vacation, but after two nights away, we were glad to see this...
...because it meant we were back to this:
7 comments:
Babysit???Me, Me, Me....pick me!
You my friend are a very brave girl! Upside down on a 2000 feet drop. I'd have to be sedated! I'm am very impressed.
I'm glad you got to have that little get away. My mom took my kids just over night last week and Mike and I thought we had died and gone to heaven!
Whoa, you guys are going on adventure dates just like on "The Bachelorette." Glad you got to have a fun getaway.
How fun! The zip-linning looked awesome! You two look great, too! When we go to U of W next fall - I will watch the kids every weekend!!!!!! Wahoo!!!
We are for sure zip lining next time we come up. I hate to admit it but saw a whole episode of the Bachelorette and they were doing all those things at Whistler. I am glad that you guys got away. It is necessary when raising kids.
Looks like such a beautiful place! I would love to babysit anytime and I think I should get first dibs because I live the closest!
What fun! I am super jealous! If you'd like a nice getaway next time to Jackpot- we'd love to babysit!!
Post a Comment