Thursday, May 19, 2011

Smithfield 5K

Around the first of the year, my sisters Cait and Tess had the idea of our family running a race together, and we signed up for a race in Smithfield. I have never ever been a runner but I went along with it, too, and started running two or three times a week to get ready. I was surprised to find out that I really enjoy it... especially after I'm done! And I use the word "run" very loosely. What I do is more of a very slow jog.
My only goal on race day was to run the entire thing and not walk at all, and I did it! (Another goal during the race? To finish before the lady wearing jeans!)
Tess and Lance are a little more hardcore and did the 10K, while Garreth, Grace, me, Madi, David, and Cait did the 5K. We were a little worried when we discovered that the race was called "Conquer the Canyon," but it wasn't too bad. The first half was all uphill, then we turned around and ran back down.
Here we are at the finish line. We were so proud of Grace! She did great, and beat my time by four minutes! It was really fun and gave us a huge sense of accomplishment. Definitely something we want to do again.

After the race, we met up with everyone else and had a picnic birthday lunch for Sam and Halle at Willow Park.

Papa pulled Sam's loose tooth...
... and joined the "Papa Tooth Club," started by Lucy, who had her tooth pulled by Papa the night before. Love those 5 year old smiles!
There was some big fair thing going on at the park and zoo and there were fun activities for the kids to do.



Then we headed up to Aggie Ice Cream at USU for the best cones the world has known.


And we ended up with a visit to my grandmother's grave nearby.
I know it might seem like an odd thing to take pictures with a headstone, but it's something we've been doing as long as I can remember. Every Memorial Day since I was little, we would have a big picnic lunch and take pictures by the headstone. We have years and years worth of pictures of us with our cousins and extended family, and up until three years ago, my sweet Gram.

The last day I spent with her before she passed away looked so much like this day. Garreth, the kids, and I took her to lunch at Juniper Take Out, then on an outing to Willow Park and out for Aggie Ice Cream. I sure miss that lady like crazy.

3 comments:

Fiona said...

Cool post. Good job on the 5K!

Jenni said...

Great job, you guys! Looks so fun. Loved that you beat the lady in jeans. That is my kind of goal!

quincy said...

Dang. I wish we could have been there.