...might be the only ones interested in this, but I'm really excited about it, so here goes.
My great-grandma Afton (my dad's grandma) took up oil painting when she was in her seventies and I have really fond memories of her little studio in the corner of their living room. She even gave me a few art lessons when I was a kid. I have a piece that she and I did together (a lovely sky and background done by her and a very simple sailboat and lake done by a young, untalented me). After she passed away, I always felt bad that I didn't have one of her paintings.
Then about a year ago I was going through some of my things in my parents' basement and came across a beautiful painting done by Grandma Afton. The best part of all was turning the canvas over and seeing her handwriting: "To Erin. Afton Ellis Beckstead, January 1977." Of course, I took the picture home and a few weeks ago, had it framed.
Here is the finished result.
It means so much to me to have it.
3 comments:
I love it - that's beautiful. Grandma Afton would always give Kris paintings because of the "same birthday" connection they had. Somehow, she found out that I felt bad that she never gave me any so she gave me a painting of a pink rose in a vase. It hung in my bedroom growing up but now it's sitting under my couch. You have inspired me to have it re-framed and hang it in Ella's room.
That is really beautiful. Grandma Afton was very talented. My parents have a couple of paintings and hopefully one day I will get one of them.
Dawn
I have a picture of a lake with a sailboat too. I have always loved it and also have fond memories of Grandma Afton painting. I have a few more she gave me, and you have also inspired me to get them out and hang them up. Thanks for the fun reminder.
Post a Comment