Sunday, March 28, 2010

A Sad Goodbye

The thing that made the decision to move the hardest was our little Evan.  With many months (maybe even years) left before anything could happen with his case, we were left with a huge problem - the thing that was best for our family was going to make this little guy's life even harder.  We felt a little better after the state told us that he could go back to the family that had him before we did, because he had a strong bond to them and they love him so much.  

But then DCFS did what they do best and changed the course to one that we initially did not like at all.  They told us that they would be moving him immediately to the home where his 11 year old brother Steve is, yet another new and unfamiliar place for Evan.  We fought it, and I made a fool of myself crying through a family team meeting, trying to get him back to a place and people he knew and loved.  But nobody listened.  It was decided that it would be best for him to be with his brother, even though they have only seen each other once every other week for the last year.  There was nothing for us to do but feel incredibly guilty and accept the plan.

Evan's new foster parents, Bob and Megan, are really good people and have been very understanding.  They have four children, ages 6-11, all adopted through foster care, plus Steve and Evan, who I believe they will eventually be able to adopt.  Their kids are so cute with Evan and we have seen him several times this last week (he moved last Saturday).  He seems to be doing alright and taking it all in stride, but I know how confused he must be and my heart really aches for him.  I feel like he has finally met his forever family though, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to love him and be his mommy for the five months I did.  He will always have a little piece of my heart.


Oh, and also?  We are done with foster care. 
For real this time.






I guess this sad post is as good a time as any to say that Nacho is no longer with our family either.   He went to live with his forever family in January.  With all the things we've been going through, we just couldn't give him everything he needed and deserved, even though he really was a perfect dog.  We have a very "open adoption" with his new family and we go see him once in a while.  He is unbelievably happy living on five acres with three other dogs, sheep, cows, horses, and a family that might be the biggest "dog people" I've ever met and who love him as much as we did.  Grace and I took it the hardest and we still talk about him and miss him, but we know he's happy.

2 comments:

Fiona said...

Erin, I'm bawling right now. I just love you and Garreth and your big mommy and daddy hearts. Sending lots of love and happy vibes your way. You were such an inspiration to me back when I was getting started up in Mommyland, and you continue to be now. Love you, girl!.

Kris/Mom said...

You did the best thing. Don't ever feel guilt. You guys have been so great in the foster program. Dogs and kids! Sometimes the best things for everyone involved are the toughest at the beginning.