On Monday morning, we got up early and piled into our rental car to leave Portugal and head to Spain. Aside from the obvious (ie, completely different languages!), I really expected that crossing the border from Portugal to Spain would be a little like crossing the border from the U.S. to Canada. You know, the signs look a little different, but really, the two countries are just slight variations of each other.
I was wrong. Portugal and Spain are completely different. We left lush, green Portugal for the arid, dry, rolling hills of Spain. People look different, towns look different; houses, churches, just general architecture all has a very distinct Spanish look.
It was beautiful.
Our first stop was in the lovely town of Segovia.


My favorite part of Segovia was the 2000 year old Roman Aqueduct that spans the town square, built of granite with NO mortar. Absolutely amazing.


From the aqueduct, we walked to the Cabildo Catedral de Segovia, a huge Gothic cathedral built in 1515.
I really wish photographs were allowed in these beautiful churches. They are so lavish and ornate, and you can just feel the hundreds of years of history and the things that happened within their walls. I mean, people's tombs lay under your feet! I did sneak one flash-less picture in the cathedral, but it really does no justice.


More exploring...



Then it was on to another beautiful castle, Alcazar de Segovia, a 12th century castle where Queen Isabella was proclaimed queen in 1474 and where she met her husband, Ferdinand. In an attack, the inhabitants would lean out these windows and pour boiling oil onto their enemies. (Thanks, Frommers!)







We took a winding staircase to the tower, which was built as a prison. We passed small cells on the way.
A few last shots of beautiful Segovia...