Since we were doing a big traditional Christmas dinner, for Christmas Eve we did something different and let each family member pick their favorite food. So we had pork chops (Garreth's pick), bruschetta (me), spaghetti (Grace), pizza (Liam), Morningstar veggie BBQ riblets (Sam), and bagels (Declan). The kids loved it! It was the only dinner I've ever made without someone complaining, and I think we'll have to stick to this new tradition!
Then it was time for opening one present. The kids draw names every year and get a present for one of their brothers or sister and we open them on Christmas Eve. This is one of my favorite parts of the holiday. They spend so much time ragging on each other and arguing, that I love when they have to think about someone else. I love taking them on individual trips to the store to carefully choose the perfect present, and I love how excited they get to see their gift opened.


Liam had a heck of a time falling asleep Christmas Eve, and was the first one up in the morning. He was excited to see the basketball standard that Santa brought him!

Santa brought Grace an ipod dock/ CD player stereo, and we gave her this aquarium and a gift certificate to fill it up.
Sam got a snowboard from Santa and a sled from us. In fact, most of his presents were sports-related - a door hanging basketball hoop, a soccer goal net, etc. Parenting Sam is all about energy release!


Declan's beloved pillow pet from Santa, and the kids' new four-wheeler from us.

The aftermath. It was a great day!