Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Labor Day Weekend

Our last hoorah of the summer was a great one. We got to do lots of fun things and see lots of people we love. We left for Utah on Saturday and stopped here on the way:
for the Mountain Man Rendezvous. If you ask Garreth, he might tell you that I have a mountain man obsession, but just know this: there is something about that way of life that appeals to me. Isn't there anyone else out there who wants to move their family to a remote mountain cabin and live off the land and only see other human beings once or twice a year? Because sometimes that's exactly what I want to do.

So yes, the mountain man lifestyle is one I envy a little bit. But not enough to turn into some of the folks we encountered at this place. Because let me tell you, there is loving mountain men and there is loving mountain men. And some folks take it a little too far.
The kids and Jim Bridger.
The kids chased candy that was shot from this candy cannon.
So, about 50% of the hundreds of people there were dressed up. And most of them were in Native American/pioneer/mountain man garb. But there were others who apparently thought that a festival like this was the perfect opportunity to pull out any ol' costume they could find. We saw Revolutionary War soldiers, sailors, and even a pirate.
It was way bigger than I imagined, tons of vendors and booths selling things very specific to this little mountain man subculture.
Watching a lady spin sheep wool into yarn.
Inside one of the fur tents. Sam was very into the furs and really wanted us to buy him a bear skin.


Blacksmith demonstration.


It was an interesting experience. I'd like to go back to Fort Bridger sometime when the rendezvous is not in town and tour the buildings. We got a little distracted by everything else.

Saturday night we went to dinner and checked into our hotel, then I took Grace and Liam to the Capital Theatre in Salt Lake for a broadway showing of this:
And it was awesome. Grace and I eat this stuff up, and Liam is a good enough sport to come along and get his mom's recommended dose of culture. We had a great time and it was a really good show.



Sunday morning, we woke up and swam at the hotel, then headed over to the Beckstead Reunion for a day of fun and games and food and visiting.











0 comments: