The last week of summer vacation, BP had an employee picnic over in Rawlins. The kids and I decided to go over earlier and check out that happenin' place. We started off at the museum, which was very impressive for such a small town. The kids loved sending telegrams by morse code,
checking out a cool sheep wagon,

and stamping leather.

The most unique item in the museum, which we weren't allowed to take pictures of, was a pair of shoes made out of human skin. Nasty.
After the museum, we met Garreth and took a tour of the Wyoming Frontier Prison, a penitentiary used from 1900 - 1981. This alone was worth the drive to Rawlins. It was one of the most eerie places I've ever been. We took a guided tour and some of the stories we heard were beyond disturbing. Usually I'm after the kids the entire tour to listen, but this time I was actually glad the kids weren't listening at all! Horrible, inhumane things happened there, but you get that sense just walking in, before the guide even tells you any of the stories. There was even a horror movie staring Viggo Mortenson filmed there in the 80's. If you are ever driving across I-80, I would highly recommend making a stop here! It was incredible and creepy and incredibly creepy.





Cafeteria.


Walking up to the "death house."

Gallows room.

Declan in the gas chamber. Even though he had no grasp on what this was and that five people had died there, he definitely caught the feeling. Look at that face!

Death row.

The best part of this tour...
I think we definitely scared our kids into never going to the big house.


Prison cemetery.

And then it was on to happier, more kid-friendly places. Like a big BP picnic!
2 comments:
Some of these faces are classic :). I love the one of Sam sitting forlornly in the cell.
Umm scary. And hilarious about scaring the crap out of the kids so they don't get in the slammer. Awesome.
Post a Comment