Sunday, June 8, 2008

Scottish Highland Games

This weekend we went to the Scottish Highland Games, which our town hosts once a year.  Garreth grumbled a little bit about all the wanna-be's, but we had fun walking around and checking everything out.  We got to hear a bagpipe and drum band and a rock/celtic band that was really good.  Lots of kilts.  Sadly, we weren't there for all the athletic events.  I really wanted to see the tossing of the caber!  Next year, I guess...
Grace, Liam, Angus the bagpiper, and William Wallace the Scotty dog.
They had booths everywhere from the different clans and lots of vendors.  Fun stuff to see.
The highlight of the day was watching a rugby game.  I've never watched one before, so I was glad to be watching with Garreth, who knows all the rules and could give me the play-by-play.  Really cool sport!
Grace and Declan cheering "our team," chosen because Sam and Liam loved the two HUGE Polynesian guys that played on it!
Sam was so inspired by the players' toughness that he started taking big leaves and ripping them apart violently to show his strength.  "See how big this one is, Mommy?  RRRRR!  Easy!"
Brute strength. 

3 comments:

Becki said...

That sounds like a lot of fun! Here they have the cornbread festival, not quite the same thing I'm sure, but still very cultural! :) We miss you guys, oh and true to me word, we recycle now!

Kris/Mom said...

Sam could be the Incredible Hulk

AMY LEVATAU said...

hi erin! i'm cait's friend and i look at your blog here and there cause i love all your fun pictures and you have such a cute family! i thought i'd comment on this post cause and my husband are big rugby fans too, he's played on some leagues and our brother in law and lots of friends play so we've been to quite a few games, anyway...just wanted to say!