This morning Declan got tubes in his ears, so I'm posting to let anyone who's interested know that everything went very well. He handled things in typical Declan-fashion, with smiles and the happiest attitude you've ever seen! It was done at the surgical center in Bellingham by our ENT doctor, and Declan had to have anesthesia because of how delicate the procedure is. I was very nervous about him going under but he did great - he didn't get sick at all. The procedure only took about 10 minutes and he was only under for about 20. When he woke up, he was just as pleasant as ever, charming all the nurses and smiling at everyone who walked by. What a kid!
Declan has been battling ear problems for four months now. Because of the way the interior of his ear is, he constantly has fluid behind there, which means they get infected easily. He has been on antibiotics five times since December, and even when he didn't have an infection, there was always fluid. I can't imagine feeling like your ears were constantly plugged up! After researching and talking to our doctor, we decided that this was the best course of action, especially since he's at a critical age for speech development... and you can't learn to talk if you can't hear well! Even now, four hours after the surgery, he seems like he's feeling better. The surgeon said that they drained a lot of fluid today, so it makes sense. We are just relieved that it's over, that it went well, and that our little guy will be feeling much better!
Wednesday, March 19, 2008
Little Trooper
Posted by Ratchfords at 12:53 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm glad to hear that your little guy is doing well. None of my kids have had tubes. My oldest has come close & we still have to watch her. I've been anxiously waiting to hear from you, and to be caught up on the past......how many years? Now I understand...anyway hope to hear from you soon. Wendy
Oh, poor Declan. I'm glad that he seems to be feeling better. Thank stinks!
I think children under anesthesia is the scarist thing, but I am glad that it went so well. I can't believe that he was so happy afterward, what a trooper! I hope he gets feeling better! I am sure you did the right thing.
Post a Comment